Prosecutors clear sexual assault charges against Kevin Spacey in UK

Sexual Misconduct Kevin Spacey
This June 3, 2019, file photo shows Kevin Spacey during a preliminary hearing in Nantucket.

Steven Senne/AP


London – Britain’s Crown Prosecution Service says it has cleared prosecution of actor Kevin Spacey on four counts of sexual assault against three men, the service said in a statement on Thursday. He was also facing a fifth count, of “causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent”, relating to one of the three men. Prosecutors’ statement was a change from earlier in the day when they said he had been charged.

“It is understood he has not been formally charged as he is not in the country,” BBC News reported.

The first two alleged assaults took place in London in March 2005 against the same man, who is now in his 40s. The third alleged assault and charge of causing a person to engage in penetrative sex without consent relates to an incident in August 2008 in London, against another man who is now in his 30s. A fourth alleged assault took place against a third man, now in his 30s, in Gloucestershire in 2013.

“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that the criminal proceedings against Mr. Spacey are active and that he is entitled to a fair trial,” the CPS said in a statement, asking that there be “ any report, comment or sharing of information online that could in any way prejudice this proceeding.”

In 2017, after American actor Anthony Rapp alleged that when he was 14, Spacey climbed on top of him in a bed, numerous allegations of assault and inappropriate behavior were made against Spacey.


Kevin Spacey dropped an already completed film after more sexual assault allegations

01:02

London’s Old Vic theatre, of which Spacey was artistic director for 11 years until 2015, said two years after his departure that during his own investigation into his conduct he had received 20 allegations of inappropriate behavior and encouraged 14 of the people who made the allegations to turn themselves in to the police.

These allegations covered interactions between 1995 and 2013, all involving men. The alleged incidents ranged from behavior that made people feel uncomfortable to “sexually inappropriate” touching, but no allegations of rape were reported by the theater.

In 2019, Massachusetts prosecutors gave up a case groped against Spacey, who had faced a charge of indecent assault and assault. The district attorney said he was dropping the case “due to the unavailability of the complaining witness.”


Dropping charges does not exonerate Kevin Spacey, expert says

02:22

Spacey was accused of groping an 18-year-old at a bar three years earlier. The accuser said Spacey bought him several booze and then groped him.

Editor’s Note: This story and the title have been updated.

.
#Prosecutors #clear #sexual #assault #charges #Kevin #Spacey