Looking Back At Fred Savage’s Past Misconduct Allegations Following Ousting From ‘Wonder Years’ Reboot

Fred Savage could find himself at the center of a new trial after being fired from his ‘Wonder Years’ reboot, according to a court source.

The former child star was ousted from the ABC show following multiple complaints of misconduct in his role as executive producer and director, we learned last week.

Savage, 45, had previously settled a lawsuit with Youngjoo Hwang, a costume designer on the set of his former Fox comedy, “The Grinder,” in 2019 after accusing him of assault and harassment.

Asked about the new allegations, Hwang’s attorney, Anahita Seda, told Page Six on Monday, “It was a long time coming and I’m not surprised at all.

Allegations of inappropriate behavior against Fred Savage (left) are nothing new for Youngjoo Hwang (right) who said he was
Allegations of inappropriate behavior against Fred Savage (left) are nothing new for Youngjoo Hwang (right) who said she was ‘hard hit’ by the former child actor.
FilmMagic; Getty Images

“When my client came to me in 2018 with her allegations against Mr. Savage, we discovered that there was at least one lawsuit that had been filed against him in the past and that Mr. Savage allegedly engaged in this type of behavior not only vis-à-vis my client but also other women. It is unfortunate that it took my client to speak out and now apparently these others before action was finally taken.

Hwang claimed in her lawsuit that Savage “slapped her hard” on the arm three times and shouted “Don’t touch me with your hands!” after removing the dandruff from his costume and the actor had a “volatile and aggressive temper when it comes to the female crew”.

Savage settled a lawsuit with Youngjoo Hwang (left) in 2019 and is now charged with new allegations of inappropriate behavior.  Hwang's attorney, Anahita Seda (right), said:
Savage settled a lawsuit with Youngjoo Hwang (left) in 2019 and is now charged with new allegations of inappropriate behavior. Hwang’s attorney, Anahita Seda (right), said, “I’m not surprised at all.
Getty Images

The filing, seen by Page Six, read: “Plaintiff is aware of and believes that numerous complaints have been filed with Defendants Fox (and indeed other networks, including ABC) over several years regarding the Defendant Savage’s unlawful conduct and yet the Fox Defendants continued to employ him.

“Defendant Savage was known to bully, intimidate and torment female crew members as they performed their duties by shouting things like ‘I’m not a dog, stop following me! ‘Never even look at me again’ and ‘Get away from me’.

Savage (center) was a child star for her role in
Savage (center) was a child star for his role in ‘The Wonder Years’ which ran from 1988 to 1993.
ABC/Getty Images Photo Archive

Savage called the allegations “completely baseless and absolutely false” at the time. He was later cleared by an investigation via 20th Century Television, which produced “The Grinder”.

Savage was among the executive producers of the new “Wonder Years,” which was rebooted last year. He directed eight episodes, including the pilot.

Seda said Savage’s ousting from “Wonder Years” could lead to a new accuser filing a civil lawsuit against him.

Savage was among the executive producers of the new
Savage was among the executive producers of the new “Wonder Years” reboot and directed eight episodes, including the pilot.
ABC via Getty Images

Deadline reported Friday that the nature of the allegations against Savage – who starred in the original ’80s series – remains unclear, but claimed the star allegedly engaged in inappropriate behavior and had verbal outbursts throughout production.

“Recently we became aware of allegations of inappropriate conduct by Fred Savage, and as policy dictates, an investigation was launched. Upon completion, the decision was made to terminate his employment as executive producer and director of The Wonder Years,” a 20th Century Television spokesperson said in a statement to Deadline.

Seda added, “The network said it investigated these new complaints and, accordingly, terminated Mr. Savage. I suspect that at this point, with the accusations piling up against Mr. Savage, the network must have come up with some corroboration and had no choice but to part ways with him.

The revamped coming-of-age comedy launched in September 2021.
The revamped coming-of-age comedy launched in September 2021.
ABC via Getty Images

“If an employer does not act after complaints of misconduct that prove to be founded, he can be held civilly liable in court. Thus, not only would the individual perpetrator be liable, but so would the employer.

She said: “Fox has not corroborated the recorded claims nor has it released the findings of the investigation; we can only assume that wrongdoing has been uncovered.

A representative for Savage did not respond to Page Six’s request for comment.

Savage denied the allegations and former teammate Alley Mills defended him.
Savage denied the allegations and former teammate Alley Mills defended him.
Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP

In 2018, actress Alley Mills said the original “Wonder Years” was canceled after a former costume designer filed a sexual harassment complaint against then 16-year-old Savage.

Monique Long sued in 1993 in Los Angeles Superior Court after alleging she couldn’t do her job and was fired because Savage asked to hold her hand, asked for an affair and made sexual remarks . The lawsuit was settled out of court and Savage never commented on it.

Mills, who played Savage’s character’s mother, Kevin Arnold, called the costume “ridiculous”, adding that Savage was “the least offensive, most wonderful, sweetest human being who has ever walked the surface of Earth”.

.
#Fred #Savages #Misconduct #Allegations #Ousting #Years #Reboot