If you feel like you are always being asked to update Chrome, you are not wrong. Google constantly releases new updates for its web browser, usually to fix new security vulnerabilities as they are discovered. With this latest update, you are indeed obtain fixes for 32 of these defectsbut also a a handful of cool and useful new features—all this does updating to Chrome 102 is a no-brainer.
While we see standalone security patches released when needed, Google tends to update Chrome like clockwork every four weeks. The last version, Chromium 101launched on April 26, making minor UI changes and added the ability to add notes to entries in Chrome’s password manager. While 102 isn’t a feature-rich update, there’s definitely more to it than version 101.
Keyboard shortcut for managing tabs
After updating to Chrome 102, you will be able to move your active tab using a keyboard shortcut, without having to drag the tab with your cursor. To rearrange the tab, hold down Ctrl + Shift + Page Up or Page Down. If your keyboard doesn’t have Page Up or Page Down keys, you’ll probably need to use Fn + Up or Down.
Open files through web applications
There are two new web apps features with Chrome 102. The first is the ability for web apps to open files on your computer, if the developer has programmed them to do so. For example, a web application might allow you to click on an item which then launches a file in your word processor.
Web apps shouldn’t reload as often
When using web applications, it is common for the entire application to reload when changing pages. Chrome 102 should limit this behavior, making it easier to move web apps between pages without needing to refresh.
Learn more about the new stores (in test)
Google is testing a new Chrome feature in version 102: when you visit a store’s website for the first time, a pop-up asks you if you want to know more about the store, for example, to on google reviews of this store. To see if this feature is working on your end, enable its flag in chrome://flags/#page-info-about-this-site.
Control a presentation from a separate tab (demo)
This update is great for those of us who frequent present slideshows via video calls. Soon everyone will have the ability to control slides without opening the slideshow tab. This will allow you to open the video call tab and see your audience, rather than keeping your full attention on the presentation you probably know by heart. This feature is currently in demo mode, so if you want to experience it, check out this interactive site to find out more.
Security fixes for 32 vulnerabilities
The most important aspect of this update is that It fixes 32 security vulnerabilities that existed in earlier versions. From these, one is rated “critical”, while eight are rated “high”. While the others are classified as “medium” and “low” and none of the flaws appear to have been exploited by hackers, it is important to protect your browser now that these vulnerabilities are common knowledge.
Here are the nine critical and highly rated vulnerabilities that will be patched with this update:
- Critical CVE-2022-1853: use after free in indexed database. Reported by Anonymous on 05/12/2022
- High CVE-2022-1854: Use after free in ANGLE. Reported by SeongHwan Park (SeHwa) on 2022-04-27
- High CVE-2022-1855: use after release in messaging. Reported by Anonymous on 07/13/2021
- High CVE-2022-1856: use after free in user training. Reported by Nan Wang(@eternalsakura13) and Guang Gong of 360 Alpha Lab on 2022-05-06
- High CVE-2022-1857: Insufficient policy enforcement in Filesystem API. Reported by Daniel Rhea on 2021-07-11
- High CVE-2022-1858: Reading out of bounds in DevTools. Reported by EllisVlad on 2022-04-07
- High CVE-2022-1859: use after release in Performance Manager. Reported by Guannan Wang (@Keenan7310) of Tencent Security Xuanwu Lab on 2022-05-05
- High CVE-2022-1860: use after free in UI Foundations. Posted by @ginggilBesel on 2022-02-15
- High CVE-2022-1861: use after free in sharing. Reported by Khalil Zhani on 2022-04-16
For a complete list of Chrome 102 fixes, check Google Chrome releases blog post. These fixes apply to all Chromium-based browsers, including Edge, Brave, and Opera, so update one of these browsers if you use them.
How to Update Chrome to Version 102
To update Chrome, click the three dots in the top right, hover over “Help”, then choose “About Google Chrome”. Allow Chrome to check for a new update: if available, click “Relaunch”. When Chrome restarts, it should be running version 102.